|Writing Workshops (Grades 4 and up)|
|I like to highlight my workshops to what students are working on in class. Talking with teachers ahead of my visits helps me focus my presentations toward their desired goals.|
• Digging Up Stuff. Research! How to find sources for both non-fiction and historical fiction projects, using examples and visuals from my writing. Adaptable to what topics teachers are covering with their students. (40-60 minutes)
Curriculum Content: English Language Arts, Social Studies.
• Writing it Right. Getting
specific. Writing and rewriting. Choosing the best words. When to use dialogue
vs. description. Explains different points of view. (30-50 minutes)
• Writing a Report. Getting
started. Making factual research come alive. Writing creative opening sentences/paragraphs.
• Telling Someone's
Life Story. Highlights of writing biography and biographical
sketches: conducting research, primary/secondary sources, using quotes,
creating timelines, etc. (40-60 minutes)
• Reliving History. Includes
vintage photos and other visuals to breathe life into historical writing.
• Creating Characters. Uses
characterization worksheets to create unique characters. Includes
a student activity. (40-60 minutes)
• What Is It Like To Be a Free Lance Writer?
Career discussion: skills and education needed, working schedule, work
habits, income, etc. (30-50 minutes)
| Home | Bio | Books | Magazines | Favorites | FAQ | Visits | Teachers | E-mail |